Child Support

Child Support

In most cases, the parent with whom the child primarily resides receives child support payments from the other parent based on the Federal Child Support Guidelines and the paying parent’s gross income – see the Federal Government’s child support calculator found at

Complications can arise, however, when one or more of the following situations exists:

  • One or both of the parents refuse to provide full financial disclosure
  • The paying parent refuses to make his child support payments
  • The paying parent provides support indirectly through the payment of household bills and other expenses rather than through the transfer of funds
  • There is a 50-50 shared parenting arrangement where the children live equally with both parents
  • The paying parent’s income is primarily derived from a business with claimed business deductions
  • The incurrence of expenses related to the child’s extracurricular activities, non-insured health and dental expenses and other special expenses
  • Children attending post secondary institutions or that continue to be dependent upon one of the parents after turning 18 years of age
  • Loss of employment by the paying parent
  • Missed or unclaimed child support payment (arrears)

Whether parents are working constructively together to determine the appropriate child support obligations, or conversely, in circumstances where one of the parties refuses to cooperate fully and transparently, our firm specializes in ensuring you understand your rights and obligations related to child support, and will work with you to determine the best strategy to ensure those rights, and most importantly the rights of your child, are fully enforced and respected.

To book an initial consultation to discuss the above matters, please call our office at 403-948-0009.